Missed It By That Much
|Bobby's Valentine||Missed It By That Much||My Brother's Keeper|
Rachel Weaver has a problem with being late, and is in danger of getting kicked off the volleyball team. She must overcome several obstacles to get to the game on time.
Rachel Weaver is always late. Everyone knows it, especially the kids at Whit's End. They're gathered there, waiting for Rachel to show up so they can leave for a roller-skating trip that Connie is going to chaperon. Finally, Connie decides to leave. She yells for the kids to hop in the bus outside. Then she tells Whit to inform Rachel that they got tired of waiting. Connie adds that if Rachel isn't on time for the volleyball tournament the next day, she's off the team. They leave, Rachel shows up, and Whit delivers Connie's message. Rachel makes all sorts of empty excuses for her tardiness, but finally realizes that it really is her fault.
At home, her father agrees and says that habitual lateness is downright rude.
Later, a depressed Rachel falls asleep in front of the television and has a terrible nightmare. She meets Rod Serly and takes a trip into the Twilife Zone! There, she is late for every important event in her life - even her funeral! She wakes up from the nightmare in a cold sweat, determined not to be late for anything again. Especially for the next day's volleyball tournament.
But getting there the next morning proves to be its own real-life Twilife Zone. First, her parents oversleep. Then, her dad's car won't start. Rachel takes off on her bicycle and gets a flat tire. She cuts across a neighbor's backyard and is chased by a ferocious dog into the woods, where she falls in a creek. Just then, Whit drives past. Rachel hops into Whit's car, but when he steps on the gas, it, too, dies!
At the school, Connie is just about to boot Rachel from the team when Rachel walks in-wrinkled, disheveled, and soaked, but ready to play volleyball! The kids cheer.
Later at Whit's End, the team has a grand celebration. Rachel's team lost, but more importantly, she showed up on time.
- Why is it so rude to be late?
- What could Rachel have done to break her bad habit of always being tardy?
- Read Matthew 25:1-1 How does Jesus feel about tardiness?
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|David Harley||Will Ryan|
|Frank Weaver||Chuck Bolte|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Rachel Weaver||Stacy Alcorn|
|Rod Serly||Phil Lollar|
- This episode introduced The Twilife Zone.
- The portion of this episode containing Officer Harley can be heard in the Gold Audio release of The Adventure Begins.
- The title is a reference to Maxwell Smart's famous catch phrase in Get Smart: "Missed it by THAT much!"
- "Missed It By That Much" was remade into #119: “Better Late than Never”.
QuotesConnie Kendall: Alright, everybody on the bus!
David Harley: Okay, I don't want a riot here! I want everybody to line up alphabetically according to their height!
Connie Kendall: We're waiting for Rachel!
John Whittaker: Rachel Weaver?
Connie Kendall: Who else?
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1988.htm#14%7C AIOHQ
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=14%7C Soda Fountain
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=2&epmode=detailed#episode14%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1988.htm#OUSA14%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000047.cfm%7C Whits End