A Member of the Family, Part 2
|A Member of the Family, Part 1||A Member of the Family, Part 2||Recollections|
After the seemingly surprise visit from Jana, Whit tries to explain everything to her, but she refuses to listen, and the discussion quickly turns into an argument. Angry, she goes upstairs to find Monty, but he isn't there. He has run away! Jana tells Whit what has happened and they leave for the sheriff's office. When Whit and Jana arrive and try to report Monty's disappearance, he is already at the sheriff's office for breaking a window at Whit's End.
The three return to Whit's house to sort everything out. After talking to Monty, Jana and Whit send him to his room, leaving them to have a father-daughter conversation. Whit begins to explain some Whittaker family history to Jana. Whit begins to talk to her about when her brother, Jerry, died in Vietnam; they all grieved differently. Whit spent much more time Jason, his only remaining son, partly because he missed Jerry so much, and partly because Jason would soon be of draft age himself. Unintentionally, Jana was lost in the whole ordeal, and before Whit knew what happened, there was a huge emotional gap between the two of them. Whit tells her that he would like to fill that gap, and Jana agrees. For the first time in years, they both are happy - except for Monty, as he has to mow lawns in order to pay his grandfather back for the window.
- Why was Jana so angry with Whit?
- What mistakes did Whit make in raising Jana?
- How could he have avoided those mistakes?
- Corrected them?
|Jana Whittaker-Dowd||D.J. Harner|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Monty Whittaker-Dowd||Chad Reisser|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
- This episode is a re-airing of FP #12: "A Member of the Family, Part 2".
- This episode was flashed back to in #212: “The Mortal Coil, Part 2”.
- Though it was appropriate at the time, an unauthorized spanking today could result in child abuse charges or a lawsuit.
- Whit's parenting style versus Jana Whittaker-Dowd reflects "Old School" versus "Modern" parenting styles.
- In the early days of Adventures in Odyssey, the regular cast (aside from Whit, Tom Riley, Connie Kendall, June Kendall and the ill-fated David Harley) was constantly shifting. As a result, it wasn't uncommon for characters to appear in only a couple of episodes and actors usually found themselves playing a different character every episode.
- Whit says that Jana started participating in anti-war demonstrations after Jerry's death, or "as much as she could at 14 years old". Yet, The Complete Guide says that Jana was born in 1953 and in #352: “Memories of Jerry”, Jerry died in 1971, so Jana would have been 18.
QuotesPolice Officer: How'd you know to come down here? We were just trying to call ya.
John Whittaker: Call me? Why?
Police Officer: Yeah, Jeff had been patrolling down by your store just now. He heard some glass breaking. He picked up a kid crawling in your back window. Says he's your grandson.
John Whittaker: Oh! Thank the Lord!
Police Officer: I wish everyone'd look that relieved when I've told them they've been vandalized.
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1988.htm#18%7C AIOHQ
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=2&epmode=detailed#episode18%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1988.htm#OUSA18%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=18#18%7C Soda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000051.cfm%7C Whits End