Connie Comes to Town
Whit's End is packed with so many customers that Whit can't handle it by himself. Fortunately, a young girl by the name of Connie Kendall comes to work for him while she tries to earn some money to return home to California.
It's a busy day at Whit's End. The phone is ringing, kids are demanding sundaes, Tom Riley is making deliveries - everything is in an uproar. Yet, despite all this, Bobby Novak is bored silly. He wants excitement and new activities, not the same old Bible Bowl that occurs every few months. Whit tells him to stay alert - excitement could be waiting on the other side of the door. Right on cue, the door opens, and in walks a young teenage girl named Connie Kendall.
Connie is looking for a job so that she can earn enough money for a bus ticket back to Los Angeles, California. After hearing a bit about her, Whit hires Connie on the spot. Connie proves to be popular with the kids - especially with Bobby, who develops a big crush on her. Bobby is so smitten, in fact, that he plans on sitting next to Connie when she rides the bus back to L.A. When Whit finds out, he is horrified and asks Connie for some explanations. Connie is just as surprised as Whit and assures him that she knew nothing about the crush.
Connie won't take any responsibility for the situation, but Whit tells her she can't simply drift through life thinking she won't influence anyone - God made us dependent on each other. Connie claims she's not into God, but Whit says that her attitude won't solve the problem. But Whit does know how Connie can help solve the problem.
Later that day, Tom coaxes Bobby to come to the Bible Bowl - with surprise host, Connie Kendall! Connie gets Bobby to participate in the Bowl, and they both have a lot of fun.
Afterward, Connie convinces Bobby and herself that instead of looking for happiness in California, maybe they should try to find it right here in Odyssey.
- What does it mean to be content?
- Bobby was bored with his life in Odyssey. Have you ever been bored?
- How did you escape your boredom?
- Whit told Connie that God made us dependent on each other. In what ways do you depend on others?
- How do they depend on you?
|Bobby Novak||David Griffin|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Freddy (b)||David Griffin|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
- This episode introduces Connie Kendall to Odyssey.
- Whit tells Connie to pick up a uniform, but uniforms at Whit's End are never mentioned again.
- Note: Perhaps Whit was just saying this as a clever way to hire Connie. It could be a reference to an apron.
- Bobby Novak seems to be another early version of Jimmy Barclay, another boy played by David Griffin who developed a crush on Connie.
- In the early days of Adventures in Odyssey, the regular cast (aside from Whit, Tom Riley and Connie Kendall) was constantly shifting. As a result, it wasn't uncommon for characters to appear in only a couple of episodes and actors usually found themselves playing a different character every episode.
- This is the first mention of the Bible Bowl which would appear once more but was apparently a popular competition at Whit's End.
Quotes'Bobby Novak: You're worried 'cause she's going to California and she won't have anyone to take care of her, and make sure she doesn't get into trouble.
John Whittaker: Well, as a matter of fact, yes! That's a big part of it!
Bobby Novak: Then you can relax.
John Whittaker: Why?
Bobby Novak: Cause I talked it over with Connie and she's not going off by herself to California after all.
John Whittaker: Oh, she's not?
Bobby Novak: No way, I'm going with her!
John Whittaker: What?!
John Whittaker: I'll talk about Jesus on the mount of transfiguration. Okay?
Freddy: Mr. Whittaker?
John Whittaker: Well, you can take your pick of Scripture references. The story is in the book of Matthew, Mark and..
Freddy: Mr. Whittaker!?
John Whittaker: Freddy, I'll be right with you! Marianne...I know Freddy isn't in the Bible! He's right here. Luke, that's what I meant. Luke is in the Bible and Tom is in the hallway!
John Whittaker: I mean, you never know when you're next discovery might be. Why, excitement could be waiting for us right on the other side of that door!
Connie Kendall: Excuse me.
Whit, Bobby, and Amanda: Yes?
Connie: Uh, yeah. Could you tell me how to get to Front Street?
Bobby and Amanda: Awwww!
Connie Kendall: Who were Shadrach, Meesh... a-lack...
Bobby Novak: Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.
Connie Kendall: <buzzer sounds> Yeah, yeah! What he said!
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1987.htm#4%7C AIOHQ
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=1&epmode=detailed#episode4%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1987.htm#OUSA4%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=4#4%7C Soda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000037.cfm%7C Whits End