Addictions Can Be Habit-Forming
Stephanie has a problem - she's never met a meal she didn't like. She wants to lose weight, but it seems she just can't. So her friend Joey decides to help her. Joey goes to the library at Whit's End to get a dieting book for Stephanie and runs into Officer Harley. After a typically confusing conversation with Harley, Joey believes that the best way she can help Stephanie lose weight is to follow her and literally take food out of her mouth. A desperate Stephanie agrees to this. But Joey ends up being too good at her job, making Stephanie even more desperate for food.
Frantically, she dashes into Whit's End and pleads with Connie to make her a small pizza. Connie makes one for Stephanie. Just as she's about to scarf it down, Joey races in, yelling for Officer Harley who is passing by to stop Stephanie. Officer Harley assumes a crime is being committed and holds up Stephanie with a cucumber. Whit hears the commotion and demands to know what is happening. Joey tells Whit the whole story, saying she only wanted to get Stephanie to "just say no" to food. Whit says that may be a good strategy for drugs, but not for dieting. Besides, Stephanie's food problem probably goes much deeper than simply eating too much. Whit says the best things Joey can do for her friend are talk with her about her problem, be willing to listen, and most of all, pray for her. This advice really does work, and Stephanie is soon on the road to healing.
- Read 1 Corinthians 6:1
- Why is it wrong to always overeat?
- What was wrong with Joey's solution to Stephanie's problem?
- Stephanie had an addiction to food. Name some other things to which people become addicted.
|Bobby (a)||Katie Leigh|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|David Harley||Will Ryan|
|Joey Donovan||Amy Trout|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
- According to The Complete Guide, this was the episode that revealed the worst of Officer Harley's foolish nature, culminating with him holding someone up with a cucumber. This is also the episode that probably sealed his fate and numbered his days on AIO.
- At the end of this and many other episodes in this time period, Chris Anthony would sign off with her maiden name, "Lansdowne".
QuotesJohn Whittaker: You don't throw away a piece of perfectly good equipment [Old #7 train] just because it has a couple of bugs in it!
Connie Kendall: Hey Whit, there's this guy on the phone who wants to-what a mess! Who wrecked all the trains?
Joey Donovan: A couple of bugs.
John Whittaker: Ha, ha ha Bugs!
Connie Kendall: Did I miss something?
David Harley: I've got just the thing! The NFL diet!
Joey Donovan: NFL? like the Football league?
David Harley: Yeah! Every time she reaches for food, <chuckles> you tackle her!
David Harley: Oh, hi Whit! Caught this suspect committing a 414.
Whit: What's a 414?
David Harley: Grand Theft Mozzarella!
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1988.htm#11%7C AIOHQ
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=2&epmode=detailed#episode11%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1988.htm#OUSA11%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=11#11%7C Soda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000044.cfm%7C Whits End