The Fifth House on the Left, Part 1
Bernard and Eugene finally make it to San Diego. Bernard purchases his new truck, and Eugene figures out the expenses of their trip. Eugene finds that the trip has eaten up almost all of the savings Bernard supposedly made on the truck deal. Instead of driving straight back, Bernard wants to make a detour to see Hollywood and visit the stars' homes, especially the home of cowboy film star Hip Hobson.
Once they get there, they can't find the house or the star, who has long since moved. Instead, there is just a locked gate to a large estate. Bernard and Eugene walk up to it. Bernard is ready to give the owners of the house a piece of his mind. Suddenly, a car screeches around the corner. It heads straight toward them, nearly hitting Eugene!
After this experience, they are nearly instantly bonded with the owners of the house, a bigwig movie producer (Foster Smith-Hammer) and his two daughters. Eugene goes off with the oldest daughter Kelsey for a screen test and Bernard stays behind to tell the younger girl Tammi stories. Tammi is especially interested in the story of Jesus, but her father isn't impressed. Just as Eugene is telling Kelsey that he isn't interested in movies, they hear a loud rumbling: it's an earthquake! Everyone runs for cover.
This plot section is in need of expanding, you can help.
Please refer to the Manual of Style for how to structure the plot.
- Why were Kelsey and Tammi so spoiled?
- Why was Foster so opposed to Bernard telling Tammi about Jesus?
- Have you ever had a major emergency in your town? How would you react if you did?
|Bernard Walton||Dave Madden|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|Foster Smith-Hammer||Jerry Dexter|
|Dr. Keenan||Corey Burton|
|Kelsey Smith-Hammer||Maureen Davis|
|Tammi Smith-Hammer||Rosslyn Roberson|
- It’s a Wonderful Life Reference: as Bernard is telling a Bible story to Mr. Smith-Hammer's daughter, she asks if it's an angel like in It's a Wonderful Life.
- The Andy Griffith Show Reference: Kelsey continually refers to Eugene's hometown as Mayberry, which is, of course, the town in The Andy Griffith Show.
- Eugene says Bernard was looking for Shirley Jones' house and Bernard says he has given up. Shirley Jones starred as the mother in The Partridge Family, which also starred Dave Madden who provides the voice for Bernard Walton.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
Eugene Meltsner: Oh, then it's Hollywood, here we come.
Bernard Walton: Why don't they put names on these gates?
Eugene Meltsner: It's possible they don't want pesky tourists to know who they are.
Bernard Walton: I'm not a pesky tourist.
Bernard Walton: Just take a deep breath, Eugene. Aah, there's nothing like the smell of a new pick up truck. It's heaven.
Eugene Meltsner: Smells more like artificially induced pine scent and upholstery cleaner.
Kelsey Smith-Hammer: Did you hear that, Eugene?
Eugene Meltsner: Yes I did Kelsey, but I'm still wondering how he got the x-ray machine in his van.
Bernard Walton: Eugene, you're about as much fun as a root canal.
- This Page On
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=8&epmode=detailed#episode278%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1994.htm#AIO278%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=278%7CSoda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000411.cfm%7CWhits End