Someone to Watch Over Me
|Muckraker||Someone to Watch Over Me||The Second Coming|
- For the video of the same title, see Someone to Watch Over Me (Video)
A man by the name of 'Grim' is following Jimmy Barclay everywhere he goes! Nagle tried to help him out, but when Jimmy discovers he is not in the in the Imagination Station, he learns his future lies in the hands of God.
Jimmy Barclay is on the strangest adventure of his life! He starts out in the cockpit of a World War II bomber plane. Jimmy is on a mission over Germany with his copilot, Nagle. Jimmy is about to be shot out of the sky by the evil General Grimmstaad. The general seems to have a personal vendetta against Jimmy. In order to save his plane and crew, Jimmy parachutes out of the plane. He lands in a haystack, where he is again met by Nagle!
Now, however, they are secret agents in Cold War Europe. Jimmy and Nagle must smuggle secret papers out of the communist bloc, past the evil General Grimmkov. But they end up trapped on a cliff. The only escape is to high dive into the ocean below. Jimmy takes the plunge, grabbing on to a piece of floating driftwood. Soon, a three-masted schooner passes by and fishes him out of the water. Again waiting for him on board is Mr. Nagle, who is now a yeoman to Jimmy’s admiral!
This time, they’re being chased by the dreadful pirate Grimmbeard. An epic sea battle takes place. Jimmy’s ship fights furiously, but it’s no use. Grimmbeard boards the ship and nearly captures Jimmy. He escapes by going down into the hold. There, a door slides open. He then finds himself in a spaceship, co-piloted by his old friend Nagle!
Now they’re being chased by the vile Grim, who is trying to vaporize them. But suddenly, Jimmy doesn’t want to play anymore. The whole thing has become tiresome, the strangest Imagination Station adventure he’s ever been on, and he wants Whit to let him out! But Nagle tells Jimmy that Whit can’t let him out...because this isn’t an Imagination Station adventure.
In a touching and surprising conclusion, Jimmy learns that there is a spiritual realm at work beyond his imagination and that his life is, and always has been, in the hands of God.
 Discussion Questions
- Why didn’t Jimmy have anything to fear from Grimmstaad, Grimmkov, Grimmbeard, and Grimm?
- Read Matthew 18:10. Can you think of a time when one of God’s angels protected you?
- If so, when?
- Do you think what happened to Jimmy is really possible?
|George Barclay||Chuck Bolte|
|Jimmy Barclay||David Griffin|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Nagle||Charles Knox Robinson|
- "Nagle" is an anagram of "angel," which is basically what Nagle is in this episode.
- This episode was remade as Someone to Watch Over Me (Video), with the same name. The cartoon version has Dylan Taylor instead of Jimmy Barclay, a few variations, and the sea battle scene cut completely.
- For the computer voice in the space adventure, Dave Arnold recorded himself and his wife, doing the lines together and ran them through a processor to get the digitalized sound.
- When Jimmy and Nagle are in the space ship, Jimmy asks if his enemy is "Grimmulin", which sounds like "Romulan" from "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Also Nagle uses "phasers" — Star Trek weapons.
- The villain "Grim" in the final fight in space sounds a lot like Darth Vader (a lot of holding the "s" sound in sentences) and shares some of his lines like "It is useless to resist," and "...face your destiny." The entire scene sounds very similar to the final confrontation in The Empire Strikes Back.
- The title of this episode is a reference to a George Gershwin song by the same name.
- It's possible that the second scene with Nagle was inspired by the James Bond movies.
- Nagel refers to "the dread pirate Grimbeard", a possible reference to The Princess Bride, which contains "the dread pirate Roberts".
- Main article: List of Princess Bride references
 QuotesJimmy Barclay: And you don't stand a chance if I stay. Besides I want to see what comes next.
Nagle: <to Jimmy> It's just like you to play around when you're in so much trouble, Agent 014.
Nagle: Jimmy wait! There's something you need to know!
Jimmy Barclay: Grimbeard, I was wondering when he was gonna show up.
Nagle: I should think you'd hope he doesn't show up sir.
- This Page On
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=5&epmode=detailed#episode144%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1991.htm#AIO144%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=144%7CSoda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000179.cfm%7CWhits End