Columbus: The Grand Voyage
Lawrence Hodges takes a trip back in the Imagination Station to the late 1400s, a time of great exploration and discovery. There, he runs into Queen Isabella of Spain. Lawrence tells her that he’s looking for Christopher Columbus. Isabella is amused by the boy. She sends him to fetch Columbus. But when Lawrence finds Columbus, the explorer says he doesn’t want to meet with the queen. He wants to sail to France.
Lawrence convinces Columbus to meet Isabella. After a series of setbacks, he and Columbus finally set sail. The voyage is rough, and the crew almost revolts. At last, just as their food is about to run out, they spot land, the New World! Columbus claims it for Spain and praises God for His goodness.
Just then, the Imagination Station winds down. Lawrence learns that Columbus was not only a great explorer, but a man of God as well. This makes such a strong impression on Lawrence that he decides to go on the adventure all over again!
This plot section is in need of expanding, you can help.
Please refer to the Manual of Style for how to structure the plot.
- Why did Columbus want to sail west? What did he hope to find?
- Why was he met with so much resistance?
- Do you think God had anything to do with Columbus’s discovery of America? Explain your answer.
- This episode implies that Columbus was out to discover a new world, which was not his intention for going on the voyage.
- While speaking to Columbus, Lawrence says the entire "slogan" of Star Trek: The Original Series: "To discover strange new lands and new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!"
Lawrence Hodges: Step lively he says. I'd like to see you stepping lively with forty pounds of chain around your neck.
Slave Trader: Up the stairs, boy. And no talking.
Lawrence Hodges: Right. No talkin'. How 'bout fainting?
Lawrence Hodges: Land ho! Land ho! Oh, wait, it's just some clouds. Never mind! Never mind!
- This Page On
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=6&epmode=detailed#episode209%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1992.htm#AIO209%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=209%7CSoda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000243.cfm%7CWhits End