Tom for Mayor, Part 2
|Tom for Mayor, Part 1||Tom for Mayor, Part 2||The Twilife Zone|
The Environmental Detection guys aren't as they seemed. They want to collect evidence to try and implicate Tom in some sort of scandal. When they can't find real evidence, they make it up!
Along the way, it's revealed that Glossman is not acting on his own but is on orders from a mysterious person "higher up." Despite Glossman's best efforts, Tom clears his name and wins the election. But even as Tom celebrates his victory, Glossman vows that Odyssey hasn't seen the last of him or his mysterious boss.
 Discussion Questions
- Do you think Christians should run for public office? Explain.
- What was wrong with the way Bart ran his campaign?
- Could Tom have done anything to avoid the scandal? Why was Glossman so intent on ruining Tom? Explain.
- As evidenced by Glossman's phone conversation, Tom becoming mayor must have been a major problem to Regis Blackgaard's bigger plan.
- Walker Edminston plays both Bart Rathbone and Tom Riley, so he was actually debating himself in this episode. According to Dave Arnold, Walker was so talented at switching voices and personalities that hardly any post-production editing was needed for the debate.
- Tom's fuss over makeup for the televised debate may have been a sly reference to the 1960 Presidential debate, where Nixon didn't wear makeup, much to his detriment.
 QuotesBart Rathbone: I'm into freedom. You're a, whaddayacallit, an intolerant hatemonger...Unlike you, Riley, I believe in toleration. And as mayor, I won't put up with anybody who isn't tolerant.
Tom Riley: ...So you're intolerant of people who tolerate intolerance.
Bart Rathbone: Yeah. My first act as mayor will be to form a committee to investigate intolerance and stamp it out!
Tom Riley: But what about things like free speech?
Bart Rathbone: What about things like that? People can have free speech.
Tom Riley: As long as they agree with you.
Bart Rathbone: Well, yeah. Nobody likes disagreeable people.
Philip Glossman: Ok Riley. You go ahead and move yourself into your mayors office. But you don't have the slightest idea what you've gotten yourself into. You haven't seen the last of us, not by a long shot.
- This Page O,
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=8&epmode=detailed#episode287%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1994.htm#AIO287%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=287%7CSoda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000420.cfm%7CWhits End