The Nemesis, Part 2
|The Nemesis, Part 1||The Nemesis, Part 2||Our Best Vacation Ever|
Dr. Blackgaard interviews Connie, smoothly suggesting that her firing was all Whit's fault. Regis cleverly maneuvers the conversation around to the Applesauce computer program. Connie barely keeps from telling the men what the program did. Then Blackgaard offers her a job, and she says she needs to think about it.
After Connie leaves, Blackgaard asks Richard Maxwell how "the plans" are proceeding. Richard says getting Whit out of the way for the vote is no problem, but he's nervous about the plan for Tom Riley. Blackgaard unleashes his wrath on Maxwell, who crumbles under the pressure and promises not to let down Blackgaard.
Meanwhile, at the Riley farm, Tom and Whit discuss the upcoming vote and the situation with Connie, agreeing that much prayer is in order.
Back at Whit's End, Richard Maxwell is spinning Blackgaard's web of deceit - and his vehicle is Lucy. First, Richard charms Lucy into calling Connie's house to tell her that Whit wants to meet with her. Then Maxwell persuades Lucy to deliver a note to Whit saying that Connie wants to meet with him. This meeting is planned for the same time as the city council vote. Finally, as for Tom Riley, Richard takes care of him in a much more direct fashion-by setting his barn on fire. The ploys work - Whit and Tom miss the vote. Dr. Regis Blackgaard gets his license...and is here to stay.
 Discussion Questions
- Why were Whit and Tom opposed to “Blackgaard’s Castle”?
- Why was Lucy so influenced by Richard Maxwell?
- Connie got her job back because Lucy lied. Is it okay to lie if something good can result from it?
- Why or why not?
- It's interesting to note that Tom's two horses are named Rachael and Leah, and when Whit gives Rachael sugar, but none to Leah, he comments that Leah is jealous of Rachael. This seems to be a reference to Rachael and Leah from the Bible.
- "The Nemesis" introduced Dr. Regis Blackgaard, the series' villain.
The current album cover contains several goofs that contradict this episode:
- Dr. Blackgaard is seen in the background. During this scene, he was at the council meeting.
- In the episode, Whit lets the horses out of the barn. On the cover, Whit is still running up to the barn, but the horses are already out.
 QuotesRichard Maxwell: Well, what do you think? Are you going to hire her?
Regis Blackgaard: No. Whittaker's hold on her is too great. However she can still be used for our immediate purposes.
Richard Maxwell: You mean to get Whittaker out of the way for the vote.
Regis Blackgaard: Yes. But it must be done carefully so they don't suspect anything.
Regis Blackgaard: You silly little coward!
Richard Maxwell: What?
Regis Blackgaard: You dare even think about disobeying my orders. Just remember, my fine young man, that I hold your future. We both know that you're guilty of far worse acts than changing a few grades of a few eggheads at the college. Perhaps you'd like me to pick up the phone and tell the authorities about them?
Richard Maxwell: No-no, please!
Regis Blackgaard: That's better. You're a smart fellow, Richard. I'm going to need people like you when I take over this town.
Connie Kendall: Hey, look at that!
John Whittaker: What? My goodness look at all that smoke!
Connie Kendall: Someone must be having one huge barbecue!
John Whittaker: That's no barbecue, something's on fire! Something near Tom's place!
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1989.htm#78%7C AIOHQ
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=3&epmode=detailed#episode78%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1989.htm#AIO78%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=78#78%7C Soda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000111.cfm%7C Whits End