The Big Deal, Part 1
|Mandy's Debut||The Big Deal, Part 1||The Big Deal, Part 2|
When her parents tell her she's not allowed to be in a play due to its anti-Christian content, Aubrey Shepard goes on an Imagination Station adventure to John the Baptist to learn what standing up to authority is all about.
Just as Ben Shepard gets off the phone, his daughter Aubrey practically dances through the front door to tell him that she has gotten the lead role in a show at a local playhouse. Ben has to tell her the bad news that, because of the play attacks Christianity, she can't be in the show and the two of them have resigned from the playhouse board. Depressed, Aubrey takes a walk through the park where she stumbles upon Whit, swinging! He invites her to swing along with him, and she tells him her problem. Whit listens carefully and then takes her back to Whit's End to "meet" someone. When Whit shows her what he has in mind, Aubrey isn't sure if she's ready to take another Imagination Station adventure. After a little convincing, she finally decides to take another ride in it.
However, once she gets started she isn't so sure she made the right decision. She lands right in the middle of a river! A young man named Micah rescues her and in the process she sees a man named John the Baptist preaching in the river. He is talking about the sinful things that King Herod is doing and Aubrey wonders if he is the man she's supposed to meet, since he's standing up to authority. That evening, Micah tries to take Aubrey to John's camp, but they get lost along the way and are nearly attacked by a leopard. They are saved by a loud voice from the rocks. It's John! The three of them go back to John's cave where Micah stands guard. Aubrey is just telling John how "cool" it was that he was standing up against Herod when soldiers storm John's cave, arresting all three of them. At the jail, a guard named Jarus reluctantly lets Micah and Aubrey go. Just before Micah goes, however, John gives him special instructions to find the "teacher" traveling around the country to see if he is who John thinks he is. Aubrey and Micah quickly depart in search of this special man. The story continues in part II...
- Why was Aubrey so angry at her parents when they said she couldn't be in the show?
- Why do you think that Micah wanted so much to be John's disciple?
- John the Baptist had to stand up to Herod and tell him what he was doing was wrong. Why did he say he stood up to him?
- Can you think of any times when someone today might have to stand up to the authorities?
|John the Baptist||Pete Reneday|
|Aubrey Shepard||Danielle Judovits|
|Ben Shepard||Jerry Houser|
|Ellen Shepard||Carolyn Hennesy|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
- Kris Kachurak, who originally played Jared DeWhite's sidekick Dwayne Oswald, plays Micah in these episodes.
- Nick Mulligan was supposed to be in the episode with Aubrey, but Chris Castile was not available for recording, so the script was changed.
- Micah says that he is the son of A-gun.
- This episode was originally called Believe It or Not
- Aubrey mentions that she has been in the Imagination Station before and met someone she didn't like. She is referring to Dr. Blackgaard and the events in #424: “Blackgaard's Revenge, Part 1” and #425: “Blackgaard's Revenge, Part 2”
QuotesMicah: I am Micah. Son of Agun.
John the Baptist: I'm John
Micah: John the Baptist
Aubrey Shepard: Nice to meet you. I'm Aubrey the Methodist. Or Episcopalian, I don't exactly remember.
Aubrey Shepard: Aren't you a little old to be swinging on a swing?
John Whittaker: Well, now how old do you have to be?
- This Page On