Rewards in Full
|The Perfect Witness, Part 3||Rewards in Full||Top This!|
Jack has started a new social program around town called “Food for the Hungry.” He’s made a poster for advertising and is just leaving to get it copied when Bart Rathbone enters. Connie explains the program to Bart. After some persuading, Bart agrees to put up a poster in the corner of one of his store windows. That afternoon, Jack encourages Erica to begin a poster campaign of her own about bicycle helmet safety.
A few days later, though, Bart ends up taking credit for Jack’s idea when he discovers that the program is good for his business, and Erica’s friend Brenda winds up getting praised in front of the whole school for Erica’s bicycle helmet safety posters. Erica storms into Whit’s End, fuming. She tells Jack what happened, but Jack has trouble understanding why she is so upset. After all, the point of Erica’s campaign is to help keep kids from getting hurt. He says, as long as she is helping kids, what does it matter if she doesn’t get credit?
Just then, Connie enters. She tells Jack that Bart is hogging all the credit for the “Food for the Hungry” program. Erica believes that Jack will finally understand how she feels now, but while Jack admits he understands a little better, he still doesn't feel angry. As he puts it, he didn’t start the program to get credit. He started it to gather food for the hungry. And since Bart is helping the hungry, why should Jack be upset if the program is working? He adds that Brenda and Bart have their "rewards in full," fleeting fame and praise, but he and Erica have the satisfaction of knowing that their work is saving lives. Erica agrees.
A few moments later, Bart makes a fool out of himself on television by revealing that he knows next to nothing about “Food for the Hungry.” Then Brenda comes and apologizes to Erica for taking credit she didn’t deserve. All is well in Odyssey again.
- Why didn’t Bart want to have anything to do with the “Food for the Hungry” program at first?
- What changed his mind?
- What should Erica have done to keep the principal from making the mistake he did?
- Have you ever done work someone else took credit for?
- What did you do about it?
- Have you ever taken credit for someone else’s work?
- Why is that wrong?
- What did you do about it?
|Abby Libbens||Maureen Davis|
|Bart Rathbone||Walker Edmiston|
|Brenda Perry||Jennifer Day|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Erica Clark||Erin Love|
|Harry Wainwright||Chick Rapport|
|Jack Allen||Alan Young|
- Part of the Electric Palace’s address, 1313 Mockingbird Road, came from the TV series The Munsters.
- The character of Harry Wainwright comes from two characters in It's a Wonderful Life — Sam Wainwright, played by Frank Albertson and Harry Bailey, played by Todd Karns.
QuotesBart Rathbone (On TV): It's like I've always said Abby. The poor have got to eat too.
Connie Kendall: Like you've always said?!
Jack Allen: I never knew Bart was such a good tap dancer.
Connie Kendall: You said it.
- This Page On
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=9&epmode=detailed#episode312%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1995.htm#AIO312%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=312%7CSoda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000445.cfm%7CWhits End