Passages: Darien's Rise, Part 5
|Passages: Darien's Rise, Part 4||Passages: Darien's Rise, Part 5||Passages: Darien's Rise, Part 6|
Whit continues reading the unusual manuscript about the land of Marus. In it, the Old Judge sends Anna away with Darien and Kyle as they race to escape the king. Anna’s visions grow stronger and Kyle senses danger again for Darien’s life. What more does the king plan in his plot against Darien?
The Old Judge advises General Darien to take Kyle and Anna with him to Sister Leona in Dor. She can train Anna to use her gifts better. Sister Leona says Anna must be special for Old Judge to send her to the convent to study. He only sends the chosen to study there.
Darien asks for a weapon, and Leona gives him the golden sword of General Soren, whom Darien defeated in one-on-one combat long ago. Darien leaves with Kyle while Anna stays to study under Sister Leona. As Darien and Kyle travel past a small village, they pass a shepherd who stares at them for longer than makes them comfortable. Kyle tells Darien to be careful, as he is starting to feel a bit sick like the previous times Darien was in imminent danger.
Meanwhile, Anna was dreaming that she saw that scene. But she sees more than Darien does, for as soon as he leaves, the shepherd runs into the village. She realizes it was a dream, but suddenly someone bursts into her sparse convent room and presses a sword against her throat. Then she truly wakes up - even that was a dream.
Darien and Kyle make it to the fence of Darien's parents' ranch. Kyle runs on ahead so Darien isn't seen, and he learns that an old house just off the ranch property is a good place to meet. So Darien heads there after dark to talk with his parents Torbin and Evelyn. Darien asks them to travel to the land of Prince Edwin to stay out of the way of King Lawrence.
After his parents leave the house, Darien is pondering how to contact Edwin safely when he is suddenly surrounded by soldiers. The soldiers are under Colonel Oliver, one of Darien's trusted commanders! They are here to stand by Darien for better or worse.
Anna was talking with Sister Leona about learning how to use her gifts. Leona says she knows enough, but still gives Anna a hand mirror. Anna wonders what to do with the mirror as Leona leaves to meet her summons from the king who has arrived at the convent. When Anna opens the door to catch up with Leona, she sees not Sister Leona, but Sister Dawn. Dawn says that no one has been through that door all day...
Anna goes to take a nap, but she has a dream where she sees Leona talking to the king. He questions her about Darien's visit to the convent. She understood him to be on a secret mission for the king. Lawrence tells her that he is a treason suspect and she could be in big trouble for aiding him. After she leaves, Anna's view is still in the room where Lawrence tells General Liddell to kill everyone in the building. Liddell says that action by the royal guard would start an unstoppable rebellion, so the king tells him to "get someone" to do it.
- The Old Judge told Darien the Unseen One rarely made things easy. Why would the Unseen One do this?
- What was something that you worked hard for?
- Did you appreciate the end result of that hard work?
- Read Hebrews 12:4-7. Why would God discipline those He loves?
- How would you compare discipline from God with discipline from your parents?
- The Old Judge wanted Anna to develop her gift with Sister Leona. Who might be able to help you develop your gifts?
- What gifts do you think God has given to you?
- Read 2 Timothy 1:6. How can you “fan the flame” of your gifts?
- Sister Leona told Anna she would learn only what she was willing to learn. How is that true for you, too?
- Can you think of a time you had a chance to learn something, but didn’t?
- Have you ever ignored a teacher or coach instead of listening to what they had to say?
- Read Luke 6:39. What do you think this verse says about learning?
- Kyle and Anna were both sad when they had to leave each other. Have you ever felt that way when you had to leave a good friend?
- Is there anything positive that comes from parting from family and friends?
- Darien and Kyle saw an idle shepherd who seemed harmless. Read Ecclesiastes 10:18 and 11:6. What does the Bible say about laziness and idle hands?
- Have you ever waited until the last minute to get projects done?
- How does this harm you?
- This is a dramatization of the Passages Book Darien's Rise by Paul McCusker.
- This episode mentions the usage of phones. In #422: “Passages: Fletcher's Rebellion, Part 1” however, Fletcher does not know of this technology. This may imply that the Darien's Rise saga occurs later than that of Fletcher's Rebellion.
QuotesOld Judge: We're in the hands of the Unseen One [God].
Old Judge: ...often it's in suffering that we see the ancient ways of the Unseen One [God] most clearly.
Sister Leona: You'll learn what you're willing to learn.
Sister Leona: And you boy, what's your story?
Kyle: I'm her sister...I mean she's my bro...I mean...I'm tired.
Sister Leona: I'm sure you are.
Sister Leona: These are the days of abandonment; when the leaders and their people turn away from the ancient ways and the Unseen One [God].
Sister Leona: To be a voice for the Unseen One [God] can be a great burden. Sometimes it involves suffering; even sharing the suffering of others but, our faith in the Unseen One [God] carries us through.
Anna: I don't know if I have that kind of faith.
Sister Leona: Perhaps not; but you will. You must feed the faith you have with prayer and study, silence and solitude. It is like a small seed that needs nurturing to blossom.
- This Page On