Lights Out at Whit's End
|The Life of the Party||Lights Out at Whit's End||Connie Comes to Town|
The kids at Whit's End are scurrying around getting ready to shoot their first video production on the subject of communication. But just as they're ready to roll, the lights flicker, and the power goes out all over town. The kids think their afternoon is ruined, but Whit, Tom, and Officer David Harley help the kids put on an impromptu stage show, lit by makeshift footlights made from candles and aluminum pie tins. The skits include a humorous visit with the 3,000-year-old man (son of the 4,000-year-old man), Gutenberg's printing of the first Bible, and a talk with a telephone.
This all leads to the grand finale, a rap song. The success of the show proves to the gang that they don't need electrical power and high-tech equipment to communicate and have fun.
 Discussion Questions
- Why is communication important?
- The Bible is one of the ways God communicates with us. What is the best way we can communicate with God?
- How well do you communicate with your friends?
- Your family?
|Amanda (a)||Dana Howerton|
|Bobby Novak||David Griffin|
|David Harley||Will Ryan|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
- This episode marks the first appearance of two characters: Bobby Novak, and the controversial character Officer David Harley.
- "Lights Out" is the name of an old horror radio show turned TV series.
- The routine about the visit with the 3000 year old man is a take-off from a routine by Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner called The 2000 Year Old Man.
- This episode has not been aired since its first broadcast, not only because Officer Harley was in it, but also due to the rap at the end, which the writers now consider somewhat embarrassing.
 QuotesJohn Whittaker: Now, the first thing people usually do at a time like this is panic.
David Harley: Then it looks like we're doing things in the right order!
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1987.htm#3%7C AIOHQ
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=1&epmode=detailed#episode3%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1987.htm#OUSA3%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=3#3%7C Soda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000036.cfm%7C Whits End