|The Tangled Web||Bobby's Valentine||Missed It By That Much|
Bobby has a problem. A girl at school has a crush on him and doesn't know what to do. He seeks to find out how to 'get rid of her.'
It's Valentine's Day in Odyssey, and Bobby Novak is flustered. There is a note in the mailbox addressed to him. The note is from Amy Duran, who thinks Bobby is the cutest boy in school. She wants to go steady with him. Bobby, however, wants to stay as far from Amy as possible.
Later, in the cafeteria, Bobby tells his friend Jeff about the problem. Jeff thinks Bobby should tell Amy to get lost, then throw mud on her. Fortunately, Bobby knows there are better ways to handle this. He resolves to talk to Amy, but the bell rings before he can do it.
After school, Amy sits at the counter in Whit's End, waiting for her true love. Connie walks over, and the two talk about Bobby. Amy says she's written Bobby several notes and poems, but he hasn't responded to her. Connie suggests a trick that once worked for her: ignoring him.
Meanwhile, Bobby and Jeff run into Officer Harley, who is on a stakeout in the middle of the sidewalk. Bobby explains his problem to the well-meaning officer, who suggests that Bobby should tell Amy he's madly in love with her. Harley says that if Amy thinks she can have Bobby's affection, she won't want him.
Both youngsters put their plans into action. Unfortunately, once Bobby professes his "like" for Amy, she vows to be his forever and to never leave him - then rushes off to record her feelings in her diary. The following week, Amy dotes on Bobby, writing him more notes and poems. She even gives him flowers while he's playing softball.
Finally, Bobby seeks out Whit. Whit suggests that Bobby just wait until the crush passes, but Bobby doesn't want to wait. So Whit says the best thing to do is be direct and honest with Amy. Tell her the truth. Bobby screws up his courage and starts to confront Amy - but before he can say anything, she breaks up with him. Much to Bobby's relief, Amy has a new crush: Officer Harley! Bobby is amused by Amy's crush on Officer Harley but is generally bewildered by the whole experience. Isn't love grand?
- Why is it a bad idea to “play games” with someone’s emotions?
- What’s the difference between acting friendly and being a pest?
- List some ways that you can best deal with people who make you uncomfortable.
|Amy Duran||Stacy Alcorn|
|Bobby Novak||David Griffin|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|David Harley||Will Ryan|
|Jeff (a)||Nathan Fisk|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
- The title is a spoof of Bobbie Valentine, former executive producer for the Focus on the Family radio program.
- This episode was remade as #117: “The Trouble with Girls”.
QuotesJeff: So, what kind of poison is the cafeteria serving today?
Bobby Novak: I can't tell. It smells like my dad's sneakers.
Jeff: Let me see. Is meat supposed to be green? And what are those little round purple things supposed to be?
Bobby Novak: Look, Jeff. I have to eat this stuff! I don't want to think about it.
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1988.htm#013%7C AIOHQ
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=2&epmode=detailed#episode013%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1988.htm#OUSA13%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=013%7C Soda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000046.cfm%7C Whits End